Gunmen attack Somaliland troops’ base in Las Anod amid unrest

0

Las Anod (SMN) – Reports from Las Anod city indicate that there was an overnight gunfight between Somaliland troops and gunmen who attacked the secessionists.

 

The clash which took several hours reportedly occurred in a base manning by Somaliland forces in Durdur village. Both sides exchanged heavy and small weapons during the fight.

Some local residents confirmed to Shabelle Media Network that at least three people have sustained wounds as a result of the confrontation which comes amidst violent protests.

Somaliland security officials are yet to comment on the Las Anod late-night battle.

On the other hand, people in Las Anod began to flee their houses as the tension is brewing and Somaliland is deploying additional soldiers to the city to contain the growing unrest.

The Las Anod riots continue for the second week with residents still taking to the streets demanding the exit of Somaliland forces from the city which lies in a flashpoint zone.

So far, at least 20 people were confirmed dead and 30 wounded in the past few days, according to hospital sources. The breakaway region’s troops are using excessive force.

Puntland president Said Deni announced on Monday that they will not leave a stone unturned to protect the people in Las Anod, whom he said are subjected to ‘massacre’.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here