Somalia says it is aware of military operations off Puntland coast

0

MOGADISHU, Somalia — Somalia’s federal government is aware of military operations and shelling off the coast of Puntland, the state minister for defence said Saturday, amid growing concern over attacks linked to a resurgence of piracy.

 

State Minister for Defence Omar Ali Abdi told reporters in Mogadishu that if military operations were being carried out against pirate groups off Somalia’s coast, the federal government was the legal authority responsible for authorising such actions.

“The federal government is aware of the incidents, and a comprehensive report will be submitted,” Abdi said, without identifying the forces involved in the reported operations.

He said the government was preparing a detailed report on the incidents and would take measures to address the escalating situation.

His comments came hours after Puntland authorities demanded explanations over shelling they said was carried out by unidentified international warships off the region’s coast on Aug. 18 and 20.

Puntland said the attacks had targeted fishermen and damaged civilian property, raising concerns over the safety of residents in coastal areas.

The Puntland Ministry of Security and Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration said it was particularly concerned about the potential impact of military operations in the Garmaal area, near coastal locations where vessels seized by pirates are reportedly being held.

The ministry warned that such operations could harm civilians who have no involvement in piracy and undermine cooperation between Puntland security agencies and international partners involved in efforts to combat maritime crime.

The latest developments come as Somali piracy has made a comeback after years of relative decline, with several commercial vessels seized in recent months in the Gulf of Aden and western Indian Ocean.

Puntland authorities have previously said they were investigating information suggesting that forces outside the regional administration could be involved in the renewed piracy, but they have not publicly identified any group or country or provided evidence to support the claim.

The incidents have also raised questions over the role of foreign military forces operating against pirate groups in waters off Somalia.

The reported shelling follows the burial on Thursday of four suspected Somali pirates in Garmaal, in Puntland’s Nugaal region, after what local sources described as a Turkish strike.

The men were reportedly killed when a small boat carrying individuals allegedly linked to the hijacking of a commercial vessel was targeted.

Relatives of the deceased blamed Turkey for the strike, but Turkish authorities have not publicly confirmed or commented on the reported operation.

Somalia’s federal government has been seeking to strengthen coordination with international partners as it confronts the renewed piracy threat, while also asserting its authority over military operations conducted in Somali waters.

The government has not publicly disclosed details of the reported foreign operations or said which forces were responsible for the shelling.

The latest dispute comes at a sensitive time for Somalia, where authorities are trying to suppress piracy while avoiding civilian casualties and maintaining cooperation with international maritime security partners.

The Defence Ministry’s promise of a comprehensive report could provide further details on the circumstances surrounding the operations and clarify the respective roles of the federal and regional authorities in responding to the renewed piracy threat.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here